Have you given some thought to riding your bike more or even commuting by bike to work or school via bike?
Well, if you have already started taking steps to commuting by bike bravo to you!
If you haven’t started yet but are thinking about it here’s a list of reasons why you may want to get started go by bike.
#1- Did you know that 40% of trips from your house are under two miles?
- Two miles! Think about how many times you could have jumped on your bike for a quick ride instead of the car.
- Imagine how much gas money you would have saved over the course of a year!
#2 – In 2003 cars stalled in traffic wasted 5 billion gallons of fuel.
- 5 billion gallons of fuel! Stalled in traffic…that’s just crazy.
- If we all rode our bikes to work one day a week, imagine what a difference that would make.
#3 – Despite the fact that cyclists breathe two to three times more air than motorists, motorists breathe about 60% more carbon monoxide and significantly more pollutants than cyclists.
- While we’re sitting in traffic wasting gas in our cars we’re actually breathing in tons of pollutants and carbon monoxide.
- What is that doing to our bodies?
#4 – Did you know that you can park 14 bikes in the space you can park one car?
- Yep, that’s right 14 bikes for 1 car.
- Imagine what that would do for congestion in downtown city areas.
#5 – When you ride your bike to work or school you don’t have to pay for parking!
- How much money do you spend on parking in the city or at school campuses etc. each year?
- Take the bike and save some money!
#6 – Take your bike on the train?
- If you feel your commute by bike is too long to pedal you can always take your bike on the commuter rail to a point closer to work or school and ride form there.
- Be sure to check with your local train transportation service to see what their policies on bringing bikes on their trains are.
#7 – In general biking to school and works saves you money!
- By now we know that commuting by bike saves money but do you know how to figure out how much you can save?
- We’ve got a basic money saving calculator here….
#8 – Commuting by bike is much more healthy and better for your body!
- Did you know that a 140 pound cyclist can burn 500 calories an hour pedaling at 14 MPH?
- Cycling has been shown to reduce overall stress and anxiety.
- Folks who ride have been shown to get more quality sleep and are better lovers!
#9 – Just 3 hours of cycling a week can reduce your risk oh heart disease and stroke by as much as 50%.
- Now you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to realize there is nothing bad about this figure…
#10 – It’s more healthy for our kids too!
- Kids who participate in sports do better in school.
- Children who walk or ride their bikes to school have less chance to be overweight and have a much lower chance of getting Type 2 diabetes.
Kids who get more activity fall asleep faster at night…
- For every hour a child sits during the day, they need three minutes longer to fall asleep at night. Short sleep duration is associated with obesity and lower cognitive performance.
More sleep equals more downtime for parents too!
- So in a nutshell we should all consider commuting by bike more often, even if it’s a day or two a week.
We can all benefit from more saddle time and our wallets can too!
Bike Commuting Pointers And Excuse Busters
- If you’re still not sure if commuting by bike is for you or you’re coming up with excuses not to ride in here’s a list of good excuse busters.
- If you’ve made the decision to get on the bike and give it a shot but aren’t really sure where to start here’s a good list of bike commuting tips and tricks to get you rolling.
Here’s A Couple Safety Suggestions
- High visibility clothing should be a must
- Daytime running lights should be used to increase daytime & nighttime visibility
For more great info and to get involved join People For Bikes
Have fun and be safe!